Friday, April 4, 2008

REFLECTING ON GOTCHA DAY! 2006!

April 3, 2006--A day that changed our lives FOREVER!! We held our baby Guatemalan angel in our arms FOREVER! I get so teary eyed remembering that specific day and how we had prayed for her for 6 months and stared and stared at the computer screen hourly!!! How many people had prayed for a baby that they had never met and fell in love with her through monthly photos! God has BLESSED us beyond what we ever dreamed and life now with a two year old is AWESOME!!! They say terrible twos---I say TERRIFIC TWOS ...even in the determined times--because this is our daughter!! God had designed her especially for our family!! She makes us smile and laugh and she never gets tired of getting hugged and kissed!!!! (US TOO)
When we finally got our "PINK SLIP" to go get Gretchen--it was sooo unbelievable to fly down and finally see her little face!! As we arrived at the Marriot and were checking in---my eyes scanned the lobby for our baby! We got up to the room and I barely sat down on the bed from flying all night and the phone rang---I have no idea what the guy said but baby and lobby!!! I ran to the door---I had to stop and wait for Lee and Blake (our neice-Gretchen's cousin) to put the luggage inside and follow me---I seriously did not recognize Gretchen when I saw the lady holding her in the lobby---HER DADDY SAW HIS DAUGHTER!!! She fell asleep about ten minutes after we got her. What a great sleeper and very content baby the whole trip!!!
That evening she would not take a bottle--(which they said was sometimes normal not to eat at first) we tried to give her a bath--oh that was a screaming fit---I ended up in tears mostly from the whole day and finally being a mommy! We laid her on the bed put her jammies on and Lee and Blake walked over to McDonalds ---(I could not eat either)Gretchie laughed and gave her mommy smiles as I clicked away!! She was asleep by 8:30 ish and woke up for a bottle at 1 am---Daddy warmed the water in the coffee pot---not sure why there was NO MICROWAVE!!
Next morning was our Embassy appointment----SHE WAS OURS!!!! The trip was one of many, many memories---I should write more so she can read this later!
APRIL 3, 2007!!!
One year later!!! Could we ever imagine how fast a year could fly by......I will post photos of Gretchen on this day! We took lots of pictures and I made a special dinner chicken dorito casserole and bought her a helium balloon. For dessert we had angel food cake---Nana came for dinner and played until bedtime! She wore a cute Dora outfit from Amma and Papa. The last photo was a race car she got from Nana and Papa.

APRIL 3, 2008!!!
ANOTHER YEAR PASSED WITH OUR ANGEL---I will be blogging in ten years saying the same thing! A special day with daddy and mommy. We woke up and took daddy to TriCities to the endodontist! Gretchen was put in the van with her pink jammies on---and got dressed when we arrived in TriCities at 8:15 am! She was so good waiting patiently for daddy's appointment to finish---and loved tapping her fancy white shoes on the hardwood floor! We read her Babar books and had a chocolate chip cookie---YES at the dentist warm cookies!
We then went to get gas at Costco and Target to test out vacuum cleaners! Let me stop here and say how I AM SO EXCITED TO GET A NEW VACUUM CLEANER!! I had got a new one 7 or 8 years ago but burned it up and it was so clogged with hair and guck! This one sucks the dirt up so good and moves on momentum I did not realize it was not picking anything up! Gretchie was so cute ---when mommy had cleaned the whole downstairs and then started on the cushions on the couch she says in a cute little voice--MOMMY DO YOU LOVE YOUR VACUUM CLEANER?? heee! I then vacuumed the upstairs--hallway and landing and stairs!! YES** I LOVE IT GRETCHEN!!We went to Target, Shopko ,Sears.Lunch at Taco Time! Lee stayed in the van with G (asleep) as I ran in to Costco to get cheese and then back to Target to get my vacuum. Funny thing was I bought the vacuum cleaner I did not test out!
Home----Lee ran over to the Dr. office to fill out forms--I took G to Superone to ride in the car cart and get sour cream got home to make the casserole and forgot to get sour cream!!! So I ran back byself!! Then G and mommy made angel food cake!! She wanted to eat it right away! So daddy and G played play station while I finished dinner! I then took her on a WALK around the block--and we rode her bike for awhile. She went to bed AWESOME!
**Gretchen and mommy have been watching the pickup trip video Wed. and Friday! She loves looking at the video and talks to the baby (HER).
HI Gretchie --your mommy and daddy are coming to get you!! Mommy I want to see when I am in my crib. Look daddy gave me a kiss. I actually had to stop it the first day because she started crying/whiny and saying I want to go to Guatemala! Can we please go! Can daddy take us there?

***I started a sticker chart with her on Monday--to reverse the RESISTANCE of going to bed (hopefully)--Sun Mon were awful going to bed!! Tues still not good--but at least no crying! Wed back to bad!! No stickers for bedtime all week---was this going to work I asked myself??? So I was very excited it only took 25 min Thurs night ----let me add Friday night took 20 min to sleep!! Gretchie and mommy made the chart and we put gold stars on the chart for each task she does good---G was so happy to show daddy Monday!! She told Amma about her chart and even was putting her little people to bed in the doll house saying goodnight you can get a sticker--ha ha! So I knew it would take awhile. Also let me say here --NO BOTTLE SINCE SUNDAY NIGHT!! She started refusing to drink milk out of a sippy at all on Wed. So on Thursday I bought A NON SPILL SIPPY!! (high dollar sippy-ha) She was excited when I brought it home from Superone it is purple and has butterflies and bees on it!!! So back to drinking milk today and not bad about giving up the ba ba (bottle)!! whew---love that girl more than we can say!













1 comment:

Kathy said...

Happy 2nd Gotcha Day!!! It is so amazing that 2 years have already gone by. Gretchen just keeps getting cuter and cuter!

And congrats on your new vacuum too!